Solid surfaced blocks with a minimum of two block spaces above them.
Hurt & Death
blackbear, grizzlybear, pandabear, wildpolarbear
Bears are tamable mobs that come with several variants.
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Grizzly bears, black bears and pandas spawn on grass blocks at light levels of 9 or more with at least 2 block space above. Polar bears spawn in ice plains, ice mountains, and ice spikes biomes. They often spawn in groups of 4 of their own species during world generation. Bear cubs will occasionally spawn with adults.
Drops[edit | edit source]
When killed, bears will drop:
- 0–2 Hide (can be increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 with Looting III)
- 1–3 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
- Saddle if equipped
- Chest + contents if equipped
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Bears wander around aimlessly, roaring occasionally. Black bears and grizzly bears have similar behavior to rats in the way they attack; at day, or in high light levels, grizzly bears and black bears are neutral, but once they get into light levels of 7 or less, or if provoked, they will become hostile towards the player. Polar bears are always aggressive, and will attack the player on sight.
Pandas are the only passive type of bear, and will not react when hit. Wild black bears, grizzly bears and polar bears will stand up on their hind legs occasionally, especially when a player is near. Pandas will sit instead of standing upright.
Grizzly bears, polar bears and black bears will attack other mobs (with the exception of big cats and other bears); most of which includes cows, sheep, rabbits, foxes and turkeys. Bear cubs are passive, and will not attack if provoked.
Like other baby mobs, cubs will follow adult bears, even tamed ones.
Taming[edit | edit source]
A bear can be tamed by giving a cub any type of meat, both cooked or raw (they don't get food poisoning from consumption of raw meat). Pandas can be tamed by feeding them sugar canes. When the naming screen appears, the bear has been tamed.
Tamed bears can be healed with any meat, and can be renamed with a medallion, book or name tag. Tamed bears can be made to sit with a whip, and will not move until the whip is used again. They can also be made to follow the player with a lead, even wild ones.
Breeding[edit | edit source]
Feeding tamed bears any meat together in an enclosed space will make them breed. The offspring will grow progressively larger with time until they reach their full size. The naming screen will also appear as soon as the offspring is produced, and, once named, will be tamed to the player. If the bear is born and the player isn't nearby once the naming screen appears, the bear will become wild.
The breeding pair needs to be kept away from other bears, and also need to be kept close in order to breed, therefore it is recommended to place them in a fenced area.
Variants[edit | edit source]
There are four types of bears; black bears, polar bears, pandas, and grizzly bears. Polar bears are the largest bear, followed by grizzlies and black bears, with pandas being the smallest.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Riding[edit | edit source]
Tamed bears can wear either normal or crafted saddles. Once a bear is tamed and saddled, the player can control it with the same controls that apply to other rideable mobs. The player can dismount with the sneak key.
Storage[edit | edit source]
If a bear has been given a chest, it will acquire 18 inventory slots. The chest can be accessed with sneak and use.
History[edit | edit source]
v10.0.1[edit | edit source]
- Bears can now be tamed by giving meats to cubs.
- Bears can now be ridden and given chests.
- Split bears into separate entities.
v8.0.0 DEVa[edit | edit source]
- Added bear attack animation.
v5.2.2[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bounding box of bears.
v5.2.0 DEV[edit | edit source]
- Bears will check spawning surroundings, if within 12 blocks of sugar canes, it will become a panda.
If the biome where the bear is spawning has the word bamboo in its name, it will also be a panda.
v4.2.0[edit | edit source]
- Bears no longer remain sitting for so long.
v4.0.1[edit | edit source]
- Changed bear models.
v3.2.0[edit | edit source]
- Bears no longer spawn within 8 blocks of torches.
v2.13.1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with bears' snouts.
v2.10[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with snouts being off 1 pixel when rotating head in bears.
v2.5.3[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with bears not attacking livestock.
v2.5.2[edit | edit source]
- Reduced spawn rate of bears.
v1.6.2[edit | edit source]
- Bears won't attack lions, but they will attack any other mobs.
- Reduced bear spawn rate to 1/3.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- For some reason, approaching a grizzly bear or black bear with cubs will not attack you, though real life female bears will attack people if they approach or try to harm their cubs.
- A panda's diet in real life mostly consists of bamboo, and don't really eat meat.
- Unlike polar bears in-game, actual polar bears will not attack people on sight. They will usually only attack if they are hungry or threatened.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern