Light levels of 7 or less in the Overworld.
|“||Damn ogres, I'm getting reports of them destroying houses, forts, castles, ore and now even a mobspawner and a spider farm....||„|
Ogres are large neutral mobs that can destroy blocks.
- 1 Spawning
- 2 Drops
- 3 Behavior
- 4 Variations
- 5 History
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Ogres spawn in light levels of 7 or less, so as long as there is a large enough block space above. Also, due to their large size, it is possible for them to spawn in smaller places and suffocate, especially in caves.
Green ogres and fire ogres spawn on top of solid blocks on the surface of the Overworld, but green ogres may also spawn in caves. Fire ogres have a 25% chance to spawn in the Overworld. Cave ogres have a 75% chance to spawn only on blocks that can't see the sky (for example, caves) located under 50 or so blocks height (the surface is 64-65 blocks).
Nether[edit | edit source]
Fire ogres spawn in the Nether, and can be found at any light level.
Drops[edit | edit source]
When killed ogres will drop:
- 0–2 Obsidian if the ogre is a green ogre
- 0–2 Heart of Fire if the ogre is a fire ogre
- 0–2 Diamond if the ogre is a cave ogre
- 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Ogres are neutral mobs, and remain so throughout the day, but will turn hostile if the light level decreases to 7 or less, or if provoked. They will continue to pursue the player even in light levels or 9 or more, although they may stop their pursuit and otherwise just ignore the player. Ogres can be heard making loud grunting and growling sounds occasionally. Green ogres and fire ogres do not burn in sunlight, but cave ogres will take damage from sunlight when exposed to it.
Ogres tend to carry large clubs or hammers, and when they notice the player from a 12 block radius, they will raise their clubs or hammers and smash it against the ground which will destroy surrounding blocks and harm the player and mobs in the vicinity (this will break blocks around the ogre, but not under it). Ogres have a block destruction radius, which varies depending on the type of ogre. Green ogres have a 2.5 destruction radius, fire ogres have a 2.0 radius, and cave ogres have a 3.0 radius.
Other than damaging the player with their weapons, if a player gets too close to an ogre, they can damage the player by "touching" them, much like a zombie.
Ogres can spawn with either one or two heads, but this won't change their strength. They can also see through transparent blocks, such as glass, so you should choose wisely when you place windows in a house. If an ogre harms any mobs nearby from its blast radius, the mob/s will target the ogre. Although some hostile mobs will otherwise just ignore them and continue to attack the player.
Variations[edit | edit source]
Ogres will typically spawn using one of six different skins: green with one head, green with two heads, red (fire) with either one or two heads, and blue (cave) with one or two heads.
Green ogres are the most common and weakest out of the three ogres. Fire ogres are more uncommon than green ogres; they destroy blocks and ignite the ground on impact. They are also resistant to fire. Cave ogres have a larger blast radius than the other two ogres.
History[edit | edit source]
v10.0.1[edit | edit source]
- Split ogres into separate entities.
v8.0.0 DEVa[edit | edit source]
- Updated ogre attack animations.
v6.1.0 DEVR1b[edit | edit source]
- Ogre explosion NPE with TNT was fixed.
v5.2.0 DEV[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with fire and cave ogre spawn frequencies.
v5.1.3[edit | edit source]
- Added new ogres.
- Finished overhaul of ogres, replaced models, textures and AI.
- Removed legacy ogres.
v5.1.1 - DEV version[edit | edit source]
- Added partial animation for the new ogre models.
v5.1.0a DEV[edit | edit source]
- Added new ogre models, pending animation and AI.
v5.0.0[edit | edit source]
- Ogres will now respect the mobGriefing gamerule.
v4.0.4[edit | edit source]
- Fixed ogre smashing animation.
- Fixed ogre smashing fxs in clients.
v2.14.1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with cave ogres not moving and fire ogres not setting blocks on fire.
v2.12[edit | edit source]
- Added option to change the awareness range of ogres.
v2.9.3[edit | edit source]
- Cave ogres no longer spawn outdoors.
v2.9.1[edit | edit source]
- Changed ogre textures.
v2.9[edit | edit source]
- Fixed typo in the cave ogre menu.
v2.5.3[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with ogre block destruction.
v2.5.2[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with ogres not destroying blocks.
v2.5[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug when fire ogres wouldn't drop fire.
v2.3[edit | edit source]
- Fire ogres now drop redstone.
- Cave ogres no longer spawn on dark areas of the surface.
v2.01[edit | edit source]
Fixed a bug where fire ogres were not fire resistant.
v1.6.5[edit | edit source]
- Fire ogres will only spawn on Hard difficulty. Both will also spawn in the Nether.
- Decreased pyromany of fire ogres.
v1.6.2[edit | edit source]
- Green ogres don't burn in sunlight, they become docile unless attacked.
- Fire ogres now spawn on Normal difficulty.
- Tweaked blast radius for ogres, depending on difficulty level, on Hard the blast radius is bigger.
- Changed drops for ogres to the intended drops.
- Ogres no longer destroy ores or mob spawners.
- Slightly increased pyromany of fire ogres.
v1.6.1[edit | edit source]
- Ogres area of destruction reduced.
- Ogres won't destroy obsidian.
v1.6[edit | edit source]
- Added ogres.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ogres are about 4 blocks high, making them one of the tallest mobs.
- Despite their destructive ability, the player can use the ogre's block destroying ability for mining or to uncover hidden ores underground.
- In the config file, the attack strength for ogres can be modified. This damage is based on blast power similar to creeper explosions and TNT. The damage ranges from 0 (no damage) to 5 (capable of destroying up to 5 blocks vertically and horizontally from the ogre).
- As cave ogres drop diamonds, this makes them a renewable resource, which are otherwise a finite resource.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern