- "I know that the ostriches do not bury their heads in the ground. It is a myth, a cliche. As many may have guessed, I love nature and its creatures, that's why I spend so much time coding animals more than other kinds of mobs. However I couldn't resist to include the head hiding behavior, it's just hilarious and fun to see it in game."
Ostriches are tall tamable mobs that are found in the Overworld.
Ostriches spawn on opaque blocks at light levels of 9 or more with at least 2 block space above. They often spawn in flocks of 1–4 during world generation.
Flocks can either come with males, females or chicks. There is a small chance of an albino ostrich spawning.
They drop 1–3 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Ostriches are neutral, and will only attacked when hit. Male ostriches will attack the player if you hit them, but not females or chicks. If a chick or female is attacked, they will panic, run around randomly and stick their heads in the ground. Tamed ostriches do not react to being hit. Ostriches emit screams when they are hurt and/or die.
Prior to v6.3.1, female ostriches could lay eggs, but if stolen, both male and female would attack the player.
Ostriches can be 'bred', however, it is slightly different than that of other mobs.
A female ostrich must be alongside a male and then fed a melon seed to lay a single egg. This will take at least 1-2 minutes. Once the ostrich lays an egg, a message will appear telling you to that the egg will hatch soon. When it does, the egg can then be collected.
Prior to v6.3.1, ostriches could be 'bred' by leaving a male and female ostrich a few blocks away from each other (it didn't matter if there were any other mobs nearby). Tamed ostriches cannot lay eggs. After a short period of time, an egg would then appear. The baby ostrich that hatched would not be tamed unless the egg was picked up and hatched by the player.
TamingEditAn ostrich can be tamed by hatching an ostrich egg. Unlike mobs that drop eggs, an ostrich doesn't need to be killed to get an ostrich egg. To get an ostrich egg, you must find a female ostrich and pair it with a male ostrich (see the "breeding" section).
Tamed ostriches can be healed by feeding them wheat, seeds, apples or golden apples.
Feeding an ostrich an essence can cause it to transform. The table below lists the effects of the various essences ostriches will take.
To feed an ostrich, hold a valid essence and right click on the ostrich.
|Essence of Darkness|| Turns an ostrich into a wyvern ostrich.|
Heals wyvern ostriches.
|Essence of Undead|| Turns an ostrich into an undead ostrich.|
Heals undead ostriches.
|Essence of Light|| Transforms a ostrich into a unihorned ostrich.|
Heals unihorned ostriches.
|Essence of Fire|| Turns an ostrich into a nether ostrich.|
Heals nether ostriches.
Tamed ostriches can be equipped with saddles (all kinds), helmets, or chests. Chicks cannot be equipped with anything.
Equipment can be placed on a ostrich by holding it and then right clicking on the ostrich, or by accessing its inventory. An ostrich's inventory can be accessed by holding down shift and then right-clicking on the ostrich.
Chests can only be given to a ostrich with the chest in hand, and afterwards the chest cannot be removed, except by killing the ostrich, with a scroll of freedom, or by placing the ostrich in a pet amulet. Upon death, the ostrich will drop the attached chest and its contents.
A helmet can be applied on a tamed ostrich to reduce the damage it receives. An ostrich can wear either leather, gold, iron, diamond helmets. Ostriches cannot wear chain helmets. They can also wear helmets from the mod, which includes hide, reptile hide, or fur helmets.
Ostriches can wear helmets from either Minecraft or Mo' Creatures (it's also possible that they can wear helmets from other mods). Chain helmets cannot be put on ostriches. All of the others include reptile helmets, all four scorpion helmets and leather helmets. Leather helmets can be dyed, but the color will not show up and when removed with shears, it will become normal.
All the 16 available colors of Minecraft wool can be used on an ostrich to give it a flag. For example, giving an ostrich red wool will result in a red flag. If the ostrich is given a different color, the flag will change to that respective color and the previous wool will drop onto the ground.
To add a flag, the ostrich must already be tamed and have a chest, although a saddle is not required, and right-click on it with a wool block in hand.
Ostriches can be equipped with a chest to give them 18 slots of inventory space.
A saddle or crafted saddle can be applied to an adult ostrich so it can be ridden. Ridden ostriches can be controlled with the standard directional controls, jump (defaults to spacebar), and the mouse.
Like Minecraft horses, as well as mountable mobs in Mo' Creatures, the hunger bar is replaced by the ostrich's health in survival or adventure mode. It uses a slightly different heart texture than the player's health bar.
Ostriches are rather fast mounts, and some special ostriches even have the ability to fly (although this can be quite difficult).
A whip can be used when riding an ostrich to give it a short speed boost. Using a whip when not riding it will make it remain stationary and have its head in the ground. If used again, the ostrich will pull its head from the ground and begin moving once more.
A medallion, book or name tag can be used to rename a tamed ostrich.
Ostriches will typically spawn using one of four different skins. Skins include brown (female), black (male), albino, and dark spotted brown (baby).
There are four special variants of ostriches that can be created by giving a tamed ostrich a certain essence. After an essence has been used on an ostrich, it can be used with another to be changed again.
|Unihorned ostrich||A pale or golden-yellow ostrich with a horn protruding from its head, much like a unicorn. They can charge at mobs in a similar fashion to a unicorn if a whip is used whilst riding one.|
|Wyvern ostrich||A black ostrich with red eyes and a long tail. They can fly if the jump button (spacebar by default) is used in a timely fashion. They propel themselves forward once flying, and can be rather tricky to control in the air.|
|Nether ostrich||A fireproof, red-purplish ostrich. Like dark ostriches, Nether ostriches can fly in a similar manner.|
|Undead ostrich||A rotting-green ostrich, that, unlike zombie horses, do not decay over time. They also take damage from splash potions of Healing.|
- Fixed ostrich not storing helmet data when equipped.
- Fixed ostriches not laying eggs.
- Added configurable egg drop chance for ostriches.
- Female ostriches now require a melon seed in order to have the ability to lay a single egg. Only untamed female ostriches can lay eggs with a male ostrich close by.
- Fixed ostrich eggs not hatching.
- Female ostriches eggs are no longer sterile. Players must now pick up the eggs in order to hatch them.
- Added new config option 'ostrichEggThreshold' which controls how many ostriches there can be in world before ostriches can no longer lay eggs.
- Fixed ostrich flying.
v6.0.0 DEV R3Edit
- Fixed ostrich crash.
- Fixed bug when 'shearing' ostriches.
- Fixed male ostriches showing incorrect chest name.
- Tamed ostriches no longer retaliate if attacked by the player.
- Fixed bug that prevented changing flag colors on ostriches.
- Added three new types of ostriches.
- Ostrich overhaul:
Hatched ostriches won't follow the player.
Ostriches now can carry helmets that will reduce the damage received.
A chest can be given to an ostrich and they can carry a small inventory.
Cloth colored cubes can be given to saddled ostriches to make them carry colored flags.
Nether ostriches now are obtained by giving any tamed ostrich an essence of fire.
Nether ostriches will fly in a way inspired by the game 'Joust'. (It's tricky but fun!)
- Nether ostriches now lay nether ostrich eggs.
- Nether ostriches are now immune to fire.
- Ostrich 'head bobbing' reduced.
- Fixed bug that prevented tamed ostriches from being saddled (only works with new ostriches).
- Ostriches no longer spawn near light sources.
- Fixed bug where ostriches would instantly die after being given an apple.
- Fixed bug where ostriches couldn't jump.
- Decreased the ostrich egg laying and spawning of new ostrich chicks.
- Added a new rare breed of ostrich.
- Ostriches won't lay eggs if there are already more than 10 eggs in the world.
- Tamed ostriches will lay eggs that hatch tamed chicks.
- Fixed bug where tamed ostriches would attack the player holding wheat.
- Added ostriches.
- Like tamed wolves, tamed ostriches can be given rotten flesh without getting the risk of food poisoning.
- Nether ostriches fly in a way inspired by the arcade game Joust.
- When an ostrich has been given a hide or fur helmet, it appears to have small bear ears. This is different compared to the metallic texture from diamond, iron and gold helmets.
- Unlike wyverns and horses, ostriches cannot wear horse armor.
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern